Re: An interesting predicament

To: Autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: An interesting predicament
From: Brian Berryhill <brianberryhill@usa.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 00:38:59 -0500
Ok, I'm no expert here, but I have some input (whether its good or bad,
please tell me).

I agree with his post on the message forum about going too fast into the
curve.  He was catching up to the Porsche pretty quick.

I also agree with someone that said his steering correction was a little
late.

However, since the car was heading down a hill, more weight would be
transferred to the front, so he probably could have hit the gas pretty hard
and saved it.  I do it in autox all the time, and even have done it on the
street at extra-legal speeds.  Now, for autox, I would have my car setup
very neutral, but in a road race course like that, I would probably opt for
more understeer for safety.  His car seemed pretty neutral in the other
twisties, so I wonder if the downhill messed him up.

Next point, when he was perpendicular to the track, his wheel was still
cocked to the left in correction mode, but if you're sideways and still
going around with no chance to correct it, I would opt to cut the wheel back
the opposite direction to make the spin go faster with a chance to stop the
spin quicker.  Granted, this works in autox at 30-40mph pretty good, so I
don't know about 80mph in which the Subaru was going.  The slide slowed him
down pretty good it seemed, just not slow enough to when he hit the dirt.

Another thing to notice is all of the other tire-beaten grass marks where it
looks like other people had done the same or similar thing.

Brian

--
Brian Berryhill
http://www.angelfire.com/ms/brianberryhill/