Re: Neon Questions

To: reddog_es22@juno.com
Subject: Re: Neon Questions
From: "Brandon C. Fetch" <brandon.fetch@ey.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:22:58 -0500
Scott,
The Neon head gaskets earlier were notorious for failing after 40-50k miles or
so.  There's a TSB for the head gasket for sure on your year.

My 99 was also susceptible to this and had to have it changed a few miles ago.
I've got 27k on it now.

Shaving the head isn't going to solve the gasket problem.  It's something
related to the material they used (cardboard instead of metal) and it failed
very early.

BUT, shaving the head can only be done to factory limits (.010 I believe) for
him to still run ES! ;-)

Enjoy.

Brandon
86DS '99 Neon R/T