Re: Launch Performance (M3 vs Ponycar)

To: Digest Auto-x <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Launch Performance (M3 vs Ponycar)
From: Ron Katona <rkatona@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 23:27:49 -0400
Jeff Winchell wrote:
> Well for one, the M3 driver can do like Bob and bring 3 sets of rear end
> gears to ProSolo/Nationals.

As could everyone.

> The ponycars have other sets of gears to do this too if they wanted, and
> they have to weigh the trade-offs too. So I don't see how this lessens the
> M3's power/weight advantage.

Weigh the car, measure the torque - that gives you power to weight
ratio. Gearing doesn't enter into that equation. Gearing is selected to
match the torque curve to the track. You're obviously getting the two
mixed up.

> Perhaps a detailed list of gearings and RPM, MPH, torque bands (i.e. min and
> max RPM for torque within 20% of peak) on the various major models of ESP
> ponycars and M3s would be interesting. Though I don't suspect it's going to
> change the overall conclusion that the M3 is NOT at a disadvantage in
> power/weight.

It would be interesting to compare Tunnell's car to say, Madarash's. The
interesting point for me would be that they could both kick my butt by
probably 5 seconds at a national event even though I've also got one of
these amazing M3s.
Funny how that works.

I congratulate both these drivers on a great event than must have been
incredible to watch.
--
Ron Katona