RE: To sway or not to sway -- Help

To: "Chuck Mathews" <lesser_of2evils@hotmail.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: To sway or not to sway -- Help
From: "Greg Smith" <mr_beachcomber@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 08:20:32 -0400
> I have a  Civic LX and run against the EX in E-stock. Honda
> didn't offer a rear sway  bar on the LX, but they did offer
> it on the EX. There (in '92) are no differences in the
> suspension between the LX and the EX (as far as I know).
> Would it be legal to add a Stock EX sway bar? If not, why?

Chuck, there are a several items to consider:

(1)  One of the changes (p. 163) published in the 2000 Solo Rulebook placed
both the Civic EX and Civic LX in the H Stock class.

(2)  The stock rules (p. 85) state - "Except for modifications authorized
below, Stock Category cars must be run as specified by the factory with only
standard equipment as defined by these Rules.  This requirement refers not
just to individual parts, but to combinations thereof which would be ordered
together on a specific car.  Any other modifications or equipment will place
the car in Street Prepared, Prepared or Modified Categories as appropriate."

(3)  Stocks rules (p. 91) do not allow adding a rear sway bar, but Street
Prepared rules (p. 102) do.

Since you stated that a rear sway bar was not a factory-installed option for
your Civic LX, then, in addition to adding the EX's rear sway bar, you would
have to add every factory item (e.g., badges, interior, trim, etc.) that
differentiated the EX from the LX to be legal in the stock category.

Having said that, I don't think that running the rear sway bar would be a
problem at the local level as long as your local H Stock competitors agree
not to protest its addition. If it causes problems, leave the rear bar off
or run C Street Prepared.  (The object at the local level should be having
fun while improving your auto-x skills, not protesting or cheating your way
to the top of the heap.  My opinion only. YMMV.)

I hope this explanation has clarified your question.  Have fun with your
Civic LX!

Greg Smith
BSP Wannabee