RE: Civic suspension setup

To: "Ax List (E-mail)" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Civic suspension setup
From: "Eric Buckley" <ejbuckley@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 17:17:29 -0500
Alistair Hastings wrote:

> I am beginning to prep my 99 Civic for CSP and would like
> advice on swaybars
> and spring rates.  The car is still street driven, so the the
> setup needs to be bearable on the street.

That's going to be tough if you really want a top of the line CSP car. OTOH,
if you're just looking to have fun in CSP, should be no problem.

> So far, my plan is Ground Cotrols(or some other coilover kit)
> and Konis.

Can't go wrong there.

> Not sure what spring rates to use though.

Ground control has done so many of these, you're probably best off just
taking their advice. I would not recommend going above 500# springs if you
want to drive it on the street. 375F/450R works well on the Integra, which
is a couple hundred pounds heavier. Perhaps 350/425 would be good on the
Civic.

> I was thinking of
> a 21mm rear
> sway bar and stock front bar, but not sure if this is the
> best setup - maybe
> a larger front and a 25mm rear bar to compensate for the
> streetable spring
> rates?

You could try it. A word of warning: really stiff rear bars tend to rip out
of the stock mounts on Civics/Integras. To make a stiffer bar work, you're
going to have to make new mounts. Comptech has a kit to do this. Ground
Control might also.

Another thing you definitely want to get are camber bolts. You will pick up
some negative camber when you drop the car, but only about -1 degree. Going
to -2.5 really helps a lot.

Another piece of unsolicited advice. Consider making a detour through Street
Touring. The suspension mods are all legal and you don't have to immediately
go to work on the engine while the car is still under warranty.

Eric Buckley
7STR: 98 Integra GSR
St Louis Region