Re: Good luck?

To: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>, "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Good luck?
From: Bill Ozinga <oz@TIRERACK.COM>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 10:47:03 -0700
Mark Sirota asked...

> I got asked by friends today whether there's a good luck phrase for
> motorsports, akin to "break a leg!" for actors.
>
> The only thing I could come up with is "keep the shiny side up!"

I used to run track events, with GTi's and a '73 Porsche 911. I had an
instructor who suggested I tape a check made out to myself for the value of
the car on the dashboard and touch it everytime I cross the start-finish
line. He said that it would help remind me that if I can't cash the check, I
shouldn't drive it like I can.

So my wife's farewell for track events was "Don't cash that check."

I've never needed to cash one yet... but I have had sod come in thru the
sunroof of an upright car :-)

Bill Ozinga - webmaster@tirerack.com
Webmaster - The Tire Rack
http://www.tirerack.com