Re: Gear Ratios Question

To: "Autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gear Ratios Question
From: "Brian Berryhill" <brianberryhill@usa.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 16:17:53 -0500
I think this question is course specific.  Granted, I don't drive a Miata,
and my V6 has a little more torque, yet I've downshifted to first at least 4
times on one course here in the MS region.

IMO, ideally, you want the highest gear that you're going to use in the
autox to run out of revs just before fuel-cutoff at your highest on-course
speed.  My PGT goes around 68mph in 2nd at 7500rpm, and I've never seen
that.

On the course last Saturday, I was able to stay in 1st gear from the start
until the first switchback, so that was good that I didn't hit the
rev-limiter coming up into the curves.  Conversely, I've had to go through
cone in the box setups where if I stayed in 2nd gear, I'd be lugging out at
3k rpm which is too slow for me.

Also, you have to take into consider shift times... my 1-2 shift (with 80k
synchros) isn't as fast as when my car was new, so doing the 2-1-2 thing
sometimes might waste more time than it saves, in which case, having a
shorter 2nd and shorter 3rd would help

If it were me, for autox-only, I would go with the 6-speed and 4.30 for max
acceleration.  But, since my car is also my daily driver, I probably
wouldn't.  Currently, I'm pondering changing out my 5th gear to a taller
ratio for better gas mileage on the highway.

Brian

--
Brian Berryhill
http://www.angelfire.com/ms/brianberryhill/