Re: Tuning Question - bad water temp sensor effect on performance

To: "Scott Meyers" <solo2@uswest.net>, "TEAM.NET" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tuning Question - bad water temp sensor effect on performance
From: "Rick" <mudfly@nycap.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 22:55:00 -0400
at risk of oversimplifing If the sender reads colder than the engine is it
may cause the engine to run rich. or if it reads hotter it will lean the
engine. when i was working with  Boush L-Jetronic systems 20 years ago I had
this one Alfa that was real strong off the line, I had tricked up the
flowmeter on this car same as the others. I had never paid any attention to
the temp sensor till  one day when I looking for a electrical problem .I
discovered a low voltage signal in the unit. I changed it and the customer
came back complaining the car wasn't as fast as it had been. To make a long
story shorter through process of elimination I discovered the sender was
making the car run a bit richer than normal. as you may guess afterwards
many evenings were spent with an ohmmeter going through boxes of temp
sensors looking for the "trick ones"

rick