Re: Got my RE71's put on

To: "Brian Berryhill" <brianberryhill@usa.net>,
Subject: Re: Got my RE71's put on
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 01:04:40 -0500
>Many of you might recall that Wal-Mart
============================
Mistake #1.

Well, having learned my lesson, I went straight back to Wal-Mart
==========================
Mistake #2.  We're on a roll now.  ;^)

>So, to continue the story, I went to the local Firestone/Bridgestone dealer
============================
Ahh, now we're sorta headed in the right direction.

>Here's a checklist for anyone having tires put on to make sure they:
>- Can work with low profile tires
>- Have a lift that does not press on the plastic sideskirts
>- Use a 21mm socket to remove the lugnuts
>- Don't scratch up the rim edge removing/installing tires
>- Put directional tires and rims on in the proper direction
>- Put the correct pressure in the tires (32f/26r OEM spec)
>- Install the lugnuts in the proper order and to the proper torque (67-85
>lb-ft)
===========================
If at all possible I "carry in" my wheels/tire to eliminate several of your
checklist problems.  Tire pressures being the least of my concerns.  If
that's not possible I tell the techs that I will place the lift pads under
my car and will take off and re-install the wheels myself.

I also try to go only to tire and wheel specialty stores.  There's just
something uncomfortable about having the same guys alternately changing oil
and installing batteries that leaves less room in the brain for properly
mounting, balancing and installing tires and/or wheels.

They tire guys don't seem to mind as it's less work for them and I've gotten
to know them quite well over the last couple of years.  Especially seeing as
I'm in there about every 6 weeks getting the tires flipped on the rims to
keep the wear even.  As a matter of fact, the last time I went to my old
favorite shop here in KC I asked if James was working today and they said
that he'd quit and moved way up north.  Damn.  I asked if the new guy was
any good and they said that James had trained him.  Weeeellll.........okay,
I guess.  So I gave him a shot and whaddaya know, he's as good as James and
doesn't stink as much either.  ;^)  He quit soon thereafter.  :^(

Now I go the one of the local riceboy import tuner wheel shops.  They deal
with high buck alloy wheels all day and will allow me to set the lift pads
myself (if I don't just carry them in) and tighten the wheels back down
myself.  They charge $12 per wheel for M&B but they do good work and aren't
using 20+ year old machines that weren't designed for aluminum wheels and
can seriously mangle them even if used correctly.

Call me picky.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

"I ask sir, who is the militia? It is the whole people...
To disarm the people, that is the best and most
effective way to enslave them..." - George Mason