re: What bet? (was: Fair classing for everbody is ridiculous?)

To: "Autox List" <Autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: What bet? (was: Fair classing for everbody is ridiculous?)
From: "Cliff Loh" <cliff_loh@infoserve.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 20:54:01 -0700
From: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>

>My original statement, one paragraph in 11 from the original letter
>Andy Bettencourt when he said the classing system could not be fair
to all:

>(quote)
>I will stop right here and add "ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL" This
>sport is about having fun, and honing skills. But if one shows up in
>Neon in ES on day-one, he will probably be able to beat the competent
>competitor with years of experience in an ES 2.5L Fiero after 2 or
three
>events. That, sir, is not the driver, it is inequitable classing!!
>(unquote)

I see a very blatant duality in this paragraph.  If the purpose is to
"have fun", then why even bother with competitive classing or even
trophies?  If "honing skills" is your goal then isn't the personal
satisfaction of doing the best you can with what you already have
rewarding enough?

First you need to decide what you really want.  Then at least try to
develop a solution instead of dissecting the debate and you may end up
contradicting yourself a little less.  The ball is in your court
George.  Prove us wrong.

A car needs not be new to be a winner.  Even though it was legally
available in the U.S., Stu Rulka's old '76 Morgan +8 is still very
competitive against today's A-Stock grouping.  SCCA-NWR allows him to
run Regional events and he's quick against the likes of Goeke, Buetow
etc.

I'll also agree w/ Andy and Roger in saying that a systems that allows
competitor to "grow a vehicle through the classes" is impossible.
Vehicle design parameters and performance envelopes change with every
model year.  So even the base point from which you start is not
constant.  Aftermarket products are numerous and give a infinite range
of performance benefits (and losses).  How do you plan on treating the
forced induction cars?  This is a group that can realize some
incredible numbers with carefully selected parts.

I dunno, there's a whole nation of short kids who probably can't play
basketball, but you don't see them lobbying to get the net height
reduced now do you?

-c.
Cliff Loh, Vancouver, B.C. CANADA
"I started out with nothing & still have most of it left."
cliff_loh@infoserve.net,
inbred_hick@yahoo.com (alternate)