Wendover Pictures

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wendover Pictures
From: Jim Ourand <sojim@home.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:54:16 -0700
Several autox members have asked about Wendover.  I found this site with
some pictures, especially the "Looking South".  I think that may be the
big "Off Limits" hanger.

http://www.lnett.com/page17.html

The entrance to the Bonneville Salt Flats is on the eastern end of
town.  Several years ago I took my 85 MR2 (formerly Gary Thomason's) out
for a picture at the Bonneville Salt Flats Historical Plaque.  The
temptation was just too much and my son and I gingerly drove out on to
the salt.  We had not idea how solid the surface was or wasn't.  On
solid ground (salt) we found the infamous "Black Line" reported to be 10
miles long, and decided to give it a try.

We each made several runs trying to reach 5000 rpms in 5th gear.  Don't
flame me if I'm wrong but I think the speed was supposed to be 125 mph.
I don't know what distance it took to achieve that speed, but it was WAY
more than a 1/4 mile.  Afterwards we took the car to the Wendover's only
car wash (on the western end of town) and got rid of a much of the salt
as possible.

Several months later I was still finding salt deposits, so be aware as
Rick Brown also warned.

If I had a car, I'd be there, Wendover is one of the best events you'll
attend.  The Utah Region does a great job, the town is fun if you like
to gamble, and you can get a beer on Sunday.

Jim