RE: Antiseize on wheel studs causes binding?

To: rsmith@bfmni.com
Subject: RE: Antiseize on wheel studs causes binding?
From: Lloyd.Wilson@Alcan.Com
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:19:18 -0500 (CDT)
--Boundary_(ID_LfFvG7/GK0aRB94U5A32Sw)

I too have been using anti-seize compound on my wheel studs for some time now.
In the past I would apply more compund as it wore off.  Recently, I started to
hear that familiar squeaking sound.  So I cleaned the wheel studs with an old
tooth brush and some de-greaser.  Applied more compound and everything is all
right.  I have been using the same lug nuts for eight years, Honda OEM's (i.e.
good quality).  I will be replacing them this year as soon as I find a McGuard
retailer.

I believe some of the problems with lug nuts striping have been people that do
not use anti-seize compound, cross thread or over-tighten the lug nuts (i.e.
use a torque wrench for tightening only).

Also beware that your lug nuts must match the wheels.  What I mean is the type
of taper on the nuts must match the taper on the wheel.  Otherwise the nut and
wheel will not 'mate' together correctly and cause abnormal binding/locking
which can attribute to striping.

The above is my observations and opinions - others will and probably have
different views.

Lloyd Wilson

I've been using anti-seize on wheel studs for what seems like forever and
have never experienced a problem. At almost every event I have attended
there was one or more racer-wanna-bes that just broke a stud and had to go
home, unfulfilled. Many times I hear the high pitched screams of an almost
seized lug nut on a stud just ready to gall the treads or break.

I clean the studs with a hand operated wire brush every 3 or 4 tire changes
and re-apply a light coat of anti-seize. I also replace the lug nuts every
2 or 3 years just to be safe.

A broken wheel stud can really ruin your day.

--Boundary_(ID_LfFvG7/GK0aRB94U5A32Sw)--