Car Classing Theory and Practice (was RE: AWD cars at ProSolos)

To: "'Mark Sirota'" <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Subject: Car Classing Theory and Practice (was RE: AWD cars at ProSolos)
From: Jeff Winchell <jwinchell@Giftspot.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 11:08:43 -0700
>The point?  You can't go looking at individual features when it comes
>to classing; you have to look at the entire package.

This makes sense by itself. I just haven't figured out how it gets applied
to the actual classes. Can you give some examples of a well formed, yet
diverse class and why the different car features of it's members make sense?

I also don't know why there are multiple car classes with VERY similar Index
numbers (whether the index comes from Dave Beck, or Ruhlman, or Howard
Duncan or whoever). When you have autocross series (like any local region
does, or the ProSolo, or even somewhat with the two courses of Nationals),
it seems to me that course dependent car features will average out so that
the SINGLE number index is a reasonable value to assign to a class. And if
so, then it doesn't seem to make sense (except for marketing/branding
reasons) to have multiple classes that differ in PAX by .002 or .003.
(Particularly when you have huge unfilled gaps like .022).