treadwear rating question (was Re: Kumho ECSTA Supra 712)

To: Vince Bly <vbly@pop200.gsfc.nasa.gov>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: treadwear rating question (was Re: Kumho ECSTA Supra 712)
From: JonesMB <jonesmb@ziplink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 18:08:41 -0500
>This year, I tried the 712's and thought they responded well
>but had less grip than the Michelins or the Intermediates (this
>is about what one would expect based on the treadwear rating
>of 280 vs 140 & 160 for the others).

I was told that treadwear rating numbers were only valid for tire types
within a specific brand.  Is that still the case?

If that is the case then you can't compare treadwear ratings for a Hankook
tire with the treadwear rating for a Sumitomo tire.  You can only compare
treadwear ratings for tires if the tire manufacturer is the same.

jmb