Re: Site Issues

To: autox@autox.team.net, rjohnson@friendlynet.com
Subject: Re: Site Issues
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 10:07:11 -0400
rjohnson@friendlynet.com <Roger Johnson> wrote:

> After only one month of serving as landlord/leasing agent
> for the marvelous site at Grissom AFB, Peru IN

Just in case anyone has been living under a rock about this, here's some
backstory:

Peru has an old B52 base that has one of the best concrete surfaces I've
ever seen. Not only is it large, it is in spectacular shape. I don't think
there's a patch anwhere on the entire site. It's a _perfect_ autocross and
ProSolo venue.

That portion of the base has been privatized, and the people who own the
site were getting tired of having to deal with 100 different car clubs and
sanctioning bodies, especially as they weren't making enough in site rental
to cover the administrative costs. So, they were going to yank the site.

Until Roger stepped up to the plate, and signed a lease. Roger now "owns"
the site. It's his.

This is a _fantastic_ deal - one of our own is now the landlord for a great
site. I'm kinda hoping that over the next couple of years, this arrangement
will result in Peru becoming "Roger Johnson Motorsports Park", with things
like grandstands, porcelin, and the other amenities you expect to see at a
professional motorsports facility.

> In just this short month, the problems have been endless:

However, that'll never happen if we keep pissing people off. Good behaviour
pays dividends...

> -entrants crossing an active military runway, ignoring
> clear warning signs prohibiting same,
> putting the site at MAJOR risk.

I've been thinking about this little problem for a while, and I was hoping
to bounce an idea off you this weekend, but your family emergency pulled
you away (I really hope your daughter is OK)

A fence across the access points would solve this problem. Fencing is not
likely to be cheap, but it is far more likely to succeed in actually
solving the problem - and this problem must be solved or the site will be
lost.

> -accusations of usury in the rental rates

This is the one that burns me the most - for what they're getting, those
rents are freakin' BARGINS. You could (should?) be charging triple that,
putting some of the extra money into site improvements, and keeping some as
payment for a job well done.

DG