RE: Engine mount inserts in SP?

To: "'Mr. DSM'" <MrDSM@excite.com>,
Subject: RE: Engine mount inserts in SP?
From: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:02:35 -0500
The question is whether those inserts are legal for Street Prepared? I have
some flat rubber inserts around all of the mounts on my car, so that would
replace those inserts in there.

Any idea about legality here?
=================================
"14.10 Engine and Drive Train
I.
One bolt-on torque suppression device may be used. A torque suppression
device attaches from the engine to the body, frame, or subframe in one
location, and controls engine movement at that location along a single axis
only. It may serve no other purpose.

Examples of permitted devices:

1) a chain
2) a rod with spherical bearings at each end.

Examples of devices not permitted:
1) one or more solid motor mounts
2) any link which confines movement in more than one direction
3) an engine mounting plate, or one or more plates rigidly bolted between
the engine and the frame.
Holes may be drilled to mount a torque suppression device. This does not
allow motor mount changes other than those which are update/backdates of
factory components. "

Pay special attention to the part that states "It may serve no other
purpose."  This means that you cannot modify anything that is designed by
the factory as a motor mount in order to suppress engine movement.

You'd have to add something completely seperate from the factory motor
mount.  At least that's the way I read the crazy ass rule.

Personally I think this SP rule should be changed to allow motor mount
replacements of alternate materials as long as they bolt to the factory
attachment points.  SP is basically a "bolt-on" class and a replacement
motor mount of an alternate stiffer material is most definitely a bolt-on
and falls well into the spirit of the class.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
1998 Dodge Neon R/T
#69 DS    #13 TLS
eric10mm@qni.com

"Hey, well I'm the friendly stranger
In the black sedan
Oh won't you hop inside my car?
I got pictures, got candy, I am a lovable man
I'd like to take you to the nearest star
I'm your vehicle baby................."
"Vehicle" by The Ides Of March