Re: 1990 or 1991 Miata as a Winter/Snow Solo Car?

To: "Moore, John" <jmoore@spyglass.com>, "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1990 or 1991 Miata as a Winter/Snow Solo Car?
From: Bill Ozinga <oz@tirerack.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 08:32:50 -0500
on 12/23/99 6:30 PM, Moore, John at jmoore@spyglass.com wrote:

> So those of you who own or have owned a 90 or 91 miata, how would
> one be in the winter? Would a hard top be necessary? I am thinking that if I
> need to get a second car for winter, maybe I should get a 1.6 miata. That
> way if the 1.6 miata turns out to be better in CS than my MR2, I'm already
> set!

I've been driving a Miata year around since '93. As long as you have a good
set of winter tires (I've been using Blizzaks), your only concern is ground
clearance. You can almost always out accelerate SUV's in the snow, which
tends to amaze them.

I like the hardtop, even though I have gone without for a winter. Better
rear visibility and the option of scraping the rear window. The plastic
window with the soft top does clear quickly from the heater, mainly because
the back window isn't all that far from the dashboard vents.

What scares me the most is my car is white, and with the hardtop is pretty
hard to see. If it's snowing, my lights are on.

It also feels a little more claustrophic with a big winter coat on.

Bill Ozinga - webmaster@tirerack.com
Webmaster - The Tire Rack
http://www.tirerack.com
Ph.(888)541-1777 or (219)287-2345