Re: Weight Transfer Question

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Weight Transfer Question
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 10:21:12 -0500
jac73@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

> In the context of controlling the car after a blowout, I'd say getting
into
> neutral and coasting down a little bit before easing into a little
braking
> would be the way to go.

Here's another data point: I had a right front tire explosively decompress
on my '91 Suburban while towing, travelling roughly 70 MPH on I-69, while
going downhill.

There was an earth-shattering KABOOM!, followed by a repeated banging as
the flailing carcass of the tire beat the crap out of the inner fender. The
truck tipped to the right, and the steering pulled HARD to the right as
well.

I countersteered to keep the truck straight while my poor stunned mind
tried to figure out just what the hell happened. It took a heartbeat or two
to realize I'd had a blowout. I then got into the brakes - gently, at first
(to see how the truck would react) and when it didn't do anything untoward,
much harder - to try and stop my fender from being pulverized!

While the whole experience scared me six ways from Sunday, to be honest,
the actual driving part was pretty easy. It made a horrible racket, but the
whole rig was still entirely controllable the whole time - it wasn't like
it suddenly veered off the road or anything.

That was my first and only flat to date too. I'm left with the impression
that flats really aren't that big a deal, controlabillity-wise.

DG