LT1 Opti-spark distributor woes? Insights/experience?

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: LT1 Opti-spark distributor woes? Insights/experience?
From: Dave Young <Young1Racing@Home.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 19:33:04 -0700
I recall seeing a team.net mail message discussing the short longevity
of the LT1 opti-spark distributor...

I  have picked up a high rpm miss/backfire under full throttle between
5-6K rpm. Plugs and wires are fresh (no improvement). I had a similar
problem tens of thousands of miles ago that eventually developed into
erratic idle and electrical missing even at low rpm that were all
corrected with a fresh distributor assembly (original distributor went
@60K miles). But it's only been about 38K miles since...

Any insights or re-direction on how to confirm/deny problem is again
distributor related will be appreciated (this is not an inexpensive or
easy replacement if needed... any better replacement options known?). If
not distributor??

TIA
Dave Young
'94 ESP Trans Am