Helmet update rule

To: "'Autox@autox.team.net'" <Autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Helmet update rule
From: Alan Pozner <AlanP@identicard.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 09:52:14 -0500
PbPied@aol.com wrote
<snip>
The SCCA policy seems intended to allow drivers to use a helmet for 15
years.
And hey, with only a few hours of use each year, why not?  But in reality,
it is much less than that!  Everyone else effected like I am will be in the
same boat:  10 years Max.  Even those buying this time next year (getting
the new '00 stickers) will get only 14 years.
<snip>

Now, let me get this straight. You want the best helmet money can buy and
then want it to last for 15 years? Because of the high cost???

Let's say you buy a very expensive helmet: $600 and you run just 10 events
per year for 10 years. That's $6.00 per event. If you were able to use it
for fifteen then the cost will drop to $4.00 per event. So we are talking
about $2.00 per event cost difference. Get real!!!

Of course since helmet technology is constantly improving I would think that
you would want to avail yourself of new technology at least every ten years.
So the $2 per event savings would be nullified if a newer tech helmet saved
you from injury.

Regards,
Alan