re: Tow vehicles

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Tow vehicles
From: Ben Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 10:34:29 -0500
Steve,

Believe it or not I tow my Corvette on a tandem axle flat trailer with my
91 Chevy half ton short bed with 4.3 V6 and 5 speed. It does very well
but isn't really rapid off the line. I get about 14 mpg and it likes to
tow at about 75 mph, because that seems to be where the powerband is on
my engine.

My truck has 155k miles on it and still runs like new. I agree with the
post about having the load level hitch. The trailer guys all scoffed at
me for putting it on, but on long trips it makes towing a *lot* easier.

I don't know where you live but around here (Atlanta area) you would have
a hard time getting any decent pickup for the budget you stated.

Ben

 "Steve Sucsy" <ssucsy@nts-online.net> wrote:

> I am soliciting input on recommended tow vehicles.  I suppose I'll end
up
> with whatever I can get the best deal on, but I'm looking primarily at
> Suburban and conversion vans.  I'm also considering extended cab pickup
> trucks.  The parameters:  a budget of $3,000.00 to $3,500.00 for a tow
> vehicle to tow a car trailer with a 2800 lb. car on it.  What kind of
> vehicle is generally best:  Suburban, van, or pickup truck?  Will any
one
of
> the three do OK, as long as it has a fairly large engine, such as a 350
V8?

Ben Thatcher
Apex Benefit Services & Motorsports
Stockbridge, GA