89 corvette steering rack

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: 89 corvette steering rack
From: Charles Spitzer <charles_spitzer@stratus.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 09:08:40
Hi all

I need to replace the rack on my 89 FX3/Z51 Corvette. I've called up the
local GM dealer to attempt to see if they have one. Unfortunately, they
have 2 different ones with the same part number, and can't for some reason
tell me which is the correct one. They claim there's a 2 character stamped
code on my current one that will allow them to tell me which, but I
certainly can't find it. Has anyone done this on a Z51 already and figured
out which one is the correct one?

The difference in racks is the number of turns for lock-to-lock, so I
obviously want to get the correct one.

I have a race this sunday, and have to replace it this saturday, so need to
order the part today. I'd really appreciate a reply with the number, or
where this code is, asap.

Thanks,
Charlie

--