hollow spring--any such thing?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: hollow spring--any such thing?
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 17:10:48 -0700 (PDT)
Question for all the (other) suspension geeks out
there.  It's well known that hollow sway bars and/or
torsion bars are popular because they are lighter than
solid bars for a given stiffness.  It stands to reason
the same would be true for coil springs, since a
spring is just a torsion bar wound into a coil.  Yet,
try as I might, I can find no reference to hollow coil
springs anywhere.

What gives?  Is it too expensive to wind a hollow bar
into a coil?  Fatigue problems?  Enquiring minds want
to know...

tia,
Craig Blome
Texas Spokes SCC, Austin, TX