Re: Scotty's Press Releases

To: "Scotty *BOB* White" <we2fat4asp@seanet.com>
Subject: Re: Scotty's Press Releases
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 14:47:08 -0400

I wrote:

>> I noticed that Scotty sent another one of his "press releases" >> about the
road race side of his career to the list this weekend, >> and I couldn't help
but wonder who the intended audience was.

> Well, actualy .net doesn't get them all and I have tried to send > them with a
*delete if you hat this* note in subject line if it
> pertains in no way to this list.

Hey, I ain't complaining. It's not like you do it every day, and you ain't
trying to sell me blues CDs or Amway. ;)

> We are not lookin for money, just publicity and awarness and
> moral support which in turn pas off for our current and future
> sponsors.

Ah, so there is no secret Scotty's List O' Secret Media Contacts, just us
chickens.

Darn.

> Anyway, think about workin a potential sponsor and he has already > heard of
you? Think it'd help? I do. Think it helps to be blamed > for all the people
runnin Kumhos on the west coast? I do ;-) See > where I am goin? Or better yet,
tryin to go?

Actually, I do - because I do the _exact same thing_ myself, on the Talon list.
After every race where something interesting happens, I post a little
description of the race, how I did, what worked, what didn't - that sort of
thing.

And it works. Sponsors get their products mentioned, it attracts more sponsors,
it attracts more people to the sport, and it promotes not just me, but the SCCA
too.

I don't send them here, because... well because I don't feel I've earned the
right to do self-promotion here. In the DSM pond, I'm a reasonably big fish. In
the overall autocross pond, I'm a blinkin' minnow.

> Yes, I think it helps as stated above. For the same reasons our
> cars are flashy, first outing in the C5 and a great picture of it > in Sports
Car! Been watchin Speedvision lately? Heard my name a
> few times? We haven't cashed the big check yet but we hope it's
> comin... ;-)

Man, you're cribbing my playbook. :)

DG