Re: Farzaan's Wastegate (was: Why Smaller Pulley?)

To: <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>, <TeamZ3@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Farzaan's Wastegate (was: Why Smaller Pulley?)
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:37:50 -0700
> I told him that
>while it was by the letter of the rules "legal" it was obviously an

It's obvioulsy *not* legal, as I pointed out in a recent and previous email,
at least in Street Prepared.

The relevant rule states both "no modifications to the wastegate" -- this is
obviously a modification to the wastegate -- and "no modifications to the
boost controls" -- and this is equally a modification to the boost controls.

On my turboford, the wastegate itself (not the controller) is in a separate
cast housing that is bolted to the turbine outlet.  As I understand the SP
rules, I can port the exhaust manifold, I cannot modify the turbo itself
including porting except for allowable update/backdate (bad idea for an 86
SVO like mine), I cannot modify the wastegate (so the housing remains
untouched in my case) and from there out to the exhaust tip I can do
anything I want within the confines of other rules (noise, outlet
positioning relative to the driver, etc).

BTW, I'm one of those who wrote to the SEB asking that they leave the
current rule (above) in place for turbo and n/a cars.

Richard Nichols
rnichol1@san.rr.com
86 Mustang SVO TII 1C: ESP/FSP/?

72 Pinto Sedan 2.0 3J - Original Owner, Restored
On display at the San Diego Automotive  Museum,
                June 99 through January 00