Re: Pax, Ok hurt me

To: "Mike Bultemeier" <hottvr@tfs.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pax, Ok hurt me
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 09:40:47 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Bultemeier <hottvr@tfs.net>

>Can anybody tell me what the acronym "Pax" stands for? I hate the whole
>Pax idea but have always wondered what it stood for?

"Professional Auto-cross."  Invented specifically to support a series which
no longer exists -- but seems to have proven useful enough that the index
has lived on and spawned many imitators.

>To me the whole Pax thing is sort of like the Wind Chill. How does anybody
else know how
>cold I feel or how fast I would have been in another car? Pax= Pretend
Auto-X?

It doesn't tell you how fast you would be in another car -- it estimates
your time based on the assumption the top of your class was as fast as the
top of A Modified.  This makes it a pretty crude tool, but it's pretty
useful for combining groups of dissimilar cars which otherwise would be
running in classes of one or two.  Novice classes, for example, or some of
those lonely slick-tired sports racers which turn up held together with
chewing gum and duct tape.... :)

It would probably work better if there were separate indicies for Stock, SP,
Prepared and Mod -- that is, all the Stock cars were referenced to SS, SP
cars to ASP, etc.  But that's alot of extra work for the folks putting their
own time in on these.

>Ok Stock guys, Flame Me

Heck no -- that would reduce the wind chill.  We want to hear how cold it's
getting.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si (.78 something on the PAX index)
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr