Saftey, Was closed vs. open car thing

To: pethier@isd.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Saftey, Was closed vs. open car thing
From: "john matthews" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 13:06:07 PDT
If you would like to depend on the stock saftey devices of your car during an
autox, and the rules permit it go right ahead.

Road racing and Solo 1 require roll cages and other saftey equipment for very
good reasons. Saftey engineering has changed our sport from one where people
used to watch  expecting death and mayhem to one of the fastest growing
spectator sports in the country.

I personally will err on the stringent side of saftey rules rather than
depending on word of mouth about what car will or will not remain safe in a
given situation. Even the safest car can be totally destroyed by a high speed
collision.

Best Regards,

John Matthews