Neon crash bolts, how tight?

To: "autox list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Neon crash bolts, how tight?
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 09:34:21 -0500
Howdee!!!!!

I want to thank all those who've given me suggestions on how to keep my
Neon steering knuckle from slipping with the crash bolts and letting all
of my negative camber go away.  But I didn't like one persons idea which
was to sell the car.  :^(

Anyway, just how tight should I torque the crash bolts to?  How much
"can" I tighten them down to?  So far I've gotten everything from
140 -180ft/lbs as suggestions.  I do like the "wet paint" idea though.
After 3 events I've lost almost all of my negative camber and I want it
back!!  I bought fresh crash bolts as the old ones may have already
stretched too many times due to about 1/2 dozen torque cycles.

Whatever I finally decide upon I'll let y'all know if it withstands a
Phase 1 McKamey class this weekend.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

"Yeah, we're runnin' a little bit hot tonight.
I can barely see the road from the heat comin' off of it.
Ah, you reach down, between my legs,
ease the seat back.
She's blinding, I'm flying,
Right behind the rear-view mirror now.
Got the feeling, power steering,
Pistons popping, ain't no stopping now!"
"Panama" by Van Halen