Re: Miata Top...SECURE???

To: "Eric Moon" <moon-7@blazenet.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Miata Top...SECURE???
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 07:27:23 -0500
>I drove my '92 Miata in an event today where I was given grief for having
>my top down, but not secure. Secure? You mean putting a vinyl boot cover
>over a convertible top makes it secure? Since I didn't have my boot cover,
>I was instructed to run with my top up.
>Have you ever heard of this? As far as I can remember, guys run without
>their boot cover all the time. People running rollbars almost can't use the
>boot.
>Was this guy just giving me a hard time over nothing?

Yes, in my opinion.  There are only two reasons to enforce such a thing:
Safety and legality.

Safety:  For the top to have any part in safety at all, I would expect that
the car would have to roll over.  First, this seems unlikely in a Miata.
Second, if you rolled over a barless Miata, you would have bigger problems
than where your top was getting to.

Legality:  We are straying into wienieism here.  Check your owners manual.
Does it say you MUST install the boot cover?

Lotus Europa, VW Quantum Syncro, Chev Suburban
LOON, TCVWC, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/