We have a Tow Vehicle!

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: We have a Tow Vehicle!
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 14:45:23 -0400
After much searching, weeping, and gnashing of teeth, we finally located and
purchased a tow vehicle. My wife is now the proud owner of a 1990 GMC Suburban
SLE.

We found one with the 5.7l FI mouse, factory tow package, a great big monster
hitch, brake controller, no body rust, and a 12 month warranty - 120k km on it,
for less than $10k CAN.

Happiness reigns supreme in the Grant household. I get something that can tow
the race car, she gets her Big Ass Truck. The Talon will never haul groceries
again! :)

Thanks to all those that offered advice on tow vehicles, purchasing of.

Now some questions:

1) I may be a convert to the Church of Force-Fed Riceburners, but I cut my teeth
on Chev 350s. There's something just plain *wrong* about a mouse with cast-iron
exhaust manifolds and intake manifolds. I think Edelbrock makes a Performer for
that 2bbl throttle body injection system, and I'm sure someone makes headers
that fit the 'burban....

Is there any point to hot-rodding a tow truck? Is the extra 25 HP and 30lb
weight reduction worth it on a vehicle that weighs just slightly less than an
Essex class carrier? What are the best modifications that people have made to
their tow trucks?

2) Has anybody got any leads on good camping areas (with showers and abolution
facilities) near Ft. Myers, Peru, Harrisburg, and Richmond? There's a lot of
money to be saved by not using hotels (The place we used in Ft Myers was $100 a
night - yow!) and the back of the 'burban is conducive to camping, but the
better half insists on having access to running water. :)

3) Now that we're charter members of the Tow Truck Club, what advice can people
offer about making our lives easier? Are there any hard knocks you can share?

DG

(Anybody else notice the increased number of Talon/Eclipse drivers hanging out
here?
:)