Re: Beginner questions - I read the FAQ ;-)

To: "Steven N. Burkett" <sburkett@ooi.com>
Subject: Re: Beginner questions - I read the FAQ ;-)
From: Paul Schelling & Kate Hughes <brholler@servtech.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 21:53:34 -0500
Steven N. Burkett asked:

> 1)  Where can I get magnetic numbers, and how many digits do I need?

For the very beginning the easiest thing to do is buy a sheet of magnet
in a color contrasting your car.  Get enough to cut out "LED-Style"
numbers, 4 eighty-eights (one 88 for each side of the car).  Cut them 2
inches wide and 5 inches tall, make a litle 90-degree wedge at the top
and bottom and assemble them into whatever number you need.  Cut another
set 1 inch wide and 3 inches tall and assemble them into your class
letters.

> 2)  My plan is to start
> slow, possibly embarrassingly so,

Two schools of thought here.  I started out slow, embarrassingly so.
Now I am less embarrassed and I go a little faster :-)  (These are not
related).  I've always had fun and I've never been teased about it
(except by siblings).  Your car, your call.  How much is your car
worth?  How close are the solid objects to the course?  If it's a $300
pinto and you drive in Topeka, I wouldn't hold back :-)

> 3)  Any additional hints on etiquette and culture out there?

Everyone is so ready to help.  As long as you don't ask for hours of
their time or interrrupt their course-walk you'll be fine!

Go to the trophy party even if you don't get a trophy.

Have fun!

Kate

--
Kate Hughes
93 Explorer "Gunhead" (tow vehicle)

Paul "I'll get around to a new car" Schelling
93 Dakota Sport (does it all, ex-HS autocrosser)
83 Rabbit "Jasper" (ice racer)