G-Force wear report (yikes!)... other experiences?

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: G-Force wear report (yikes!)... other experiences?
From: Dave Young <Young1Racing@home.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 20:57:45 -0700
Well... other than their first time out on my ESP Trans Am, the G-Force
R1 tires worked pretty well. A summary of my tire experiences, including
the G-Force (my tire sizes are 275/40/17f 9.5" rim, 315/35/15r 11" rim).

- 230 R1's before they were fixed (even though they weren't broken): @60
laps with groove of doom (outer groove). MANY sets.
- Hoosier AS02's: @50 laps when belts began showing near inner third of
front tires; signs of some flat spotting near outer areas. 2 sets.
- 230 R1's (after they were fixed): 100-120 laps on full tread depth
tires. Belts showing near inner third of front tires. MANY sets.
- Kumho's: @70 runs with belts showing near inner third of front tires.
1 set.
- G-Force: Belts showing in center area of REAR tires(!!??) at 40
laps!!!! Yeow!! 1st set.

Though I admit the first time out the loose rear tires took some abuse
with "Dukes of Hazzard" recovery methods used, but once a suspension
adjustment to soften up the rear was made things were pretty neutral
again.

Any experiences to share out there? I would like to think these tires
wore prematurely due to the intial loose set up... But, my gut says
these things wear extremely quickly on a heavy high horsepower car. I'm
considering giving them another chance, but expecting 40 runs on
315/35-17 tires doesn't make good $sense for someone who does this just
for the fun of it. What's the consensus?

Yes, they were properly heat cycled prior to their first race.

Dave
94 ESP Trans Am
AZ Region