re: Do springs ever wear out?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Do springs ever wear out?
From: "Scott Johnson" <sjohnson@kcnet.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:47:57 -0600
>How-dee all.

Hey!

>How do you tell when your suspension springs are on their last
>legs?

They sag.

>I'd like to keep my Neon's handling as close to new for as long as
>possible

Don't let me drive your car anymore. :-)

>and am curious as to just how long the factory coil >suspension
>springs should last before they are no longer as stiff as they used
>to be.  How 'bout the Konis that I just installed?  How do I tell
>when they start going away?  And the bushings?

Springs: From what I understand, springs sag but the rate doesn't
change. The sagging is still bad however.

Shocks: One bad shock can be easy to miss. Pay attention and
you'll notice it however.

Bushings: General sloppiness, probably the easiest to notice.

You've got a ways to go before you have any of those problems.

-Scott Johnson
 sjohnson@kcnet.com