RE: Autocross Speed and Safety

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>,
Subject: RE: Autocross Speed and Safety
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <bfuhrman@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 13:09:58 -0600
> I'm sure everyone thinks I'm a wus and whiner or whatever, but bottom line

> regarding safe high speed courses.  Bottom line, in my mind, is that a
> course isn't safe unless a driver can make a mistake (while on line) and
> slide or spin to a halt without hitting something.  That isn't the only
> factor, but its a pretty major one.  A driver should have to make at
> least two mistakes (start to spin and try to save it when they should give
> it up, etc.) to hit something.  If your lot doesn't allow that, then find

You're not a wus.  I would add one more item to your bottom line, the slide
or spin should remain on the paved surface.  Our current site (Minneapolis,
MN) cannot allow this, but we are looking for other sites.

The somewhat extreme safety level of Solo II allows novices (and not so good
drivers) to show up and enjoy driving rather than worrying about spots on
the course where they could wipe out their daily driver.

It is quite possible that some locations can have appropriately safe courses
designed that exceed the letter of the rules.  I haven't seen anyone answer
the question about any detrimental effects of higher speeds would have on
insurance availability or expense.