Re: Course design/speed limits

Subject: Re: Course design/speed limits
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:55:53 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Jeff Blankenship wrote:
> The issue of top speed and applying 2.1 comes down to two questions for me:
> 1.  Is it fair for course designers to take advantage of the space to make
> a safe course that exceeds 65mph?
>
> 2.  Is it legal for course designers to take advantage of the space to make
> a safe course that exceeds 65mph?

Phrased like that, I'd say 'yes' to 1 and 'I dunno' to 2.

HOWEVER, when I hear stories of a Z3 spinning out at a national event and
hitting a fence, its blindingly clear that in fact the course was _NOT
SAFE_.  I'm no solo steward in training, but I can see no reason
whatsoever that a course designer should be allowed to layout a course
that lets cars hit things.  Basically you should be able to spin the
fastest car going into, in the middle of, and coming out of every corner
AND NOT HIT ANYTHING.  If you can't do that, then you need to do something
to slow the cars down or reroute them until its true.

Now, for all I know the z3 thing was a freak event or multiple mistakes,
or whatever, but to be quite honest, I'd stop autoxing if I thought
course designers didn't agree with what I wrote above.

Mark