Re: WTB used tire pyrometer

To: Steven Louis Baumbach <baum0090@kettering.edu>
Subject: Re: WTB used tire pyrometer
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:56:03 -0600
Steven Louis Baumbach wrote:

> If you have a multimeter that will accept thermocouples, you could always
> use a good thermocouple probe.  I just saw a really good one from Omega
> Engineering for $50.  Of course, good multimeter is $200+, but many who
> work on cars already have them....

Neat idea, tell me more....

* Contact info for Omega Engineering?
* Others who sell them?
* Why would the multimeter have to "accept thermocouples"?  All thermocouples
  will produce a voltage based on a temperature delta -- and all multimeters
  can measure voltage.  Or is it just that the multimeter must be able to
  read fairly small voltages?  Or that the multimeter has a temperature display?
* I assume this will work best where you are just looking for relative temps
  (like inside of tire vs. outside), but not so well if you want to know the
  actual temp?  Or is it the case that the thermocouple probes are calibrated
  in some way to allow you to know the absolute temperature?
* Are they linear through the important temperature ranges?
* What temperature ranges do the thermocouple probes allow you to read?
* What other disadvantages do they have relative to a purpose-built pyrometer?

Thanks,

Brian