toe alignment and centered steering wheel.

To: "autocross" <AUTOX@autox.team.net>
Subject: toe alignment and centered steering wheel.
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 13:14:26 -0600
How-dee again.

Thanks all for the toe setting tips.  I especially like the one with two
yardsticks rubber banded together that can slide back and forth and
already have a measuring scale on them.

Next question.  How do I know if each front tire is an equal amount of
toe, out or in, from the actual centerline of the car?  In other words,
whats to keep me from accidentally screwing up the toe so badly that it
ends up having 1/2" toe out on the left side and 3/8" toe in on the
right side which would measure out as 1/8" total toe out using y'all's
methods?

If I keep the steering wheel centered the whole time will the toe end up
where I want it or can I still screw it up that badly?

Ya guys gotta know that I seem to have the absolute worst mechanical
luck of anyone that I know.

I bought the yellow Konis for my non-ACR Neon, cuz they were about
$200/set cheaper than the Black Konis from Chrysler, and welded on the
appropriate ID size washers to eliminate the camber adjustability
feature.  I now have to use the "crash bolts" to regain any amount of
usable negative camber.  Well, at the alignment shop I arrived just in
time to watch the guy setting my camber and all he could get was 0.5
degrees negative camber even WITH the crash bolts.  Damn.

I measured incorrectly where the washers should have been welded in
place and screwed myself out of a lot of camber.  So now I have to
remove the struts, again, and grind off the old washers and reweld
another set of washers in the correct place so that I can get some
usable negative camber in my non-ACR Neon.

So please help me to be able to correctly set my toe specs and not
totally screw the car up in the process.

Thanks in advance everybody.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

You jump in front of my car  When you know all the time
That 90 miles an hour  Girl  Is the speed I drive
You tell me it's all right  You don't mind a little pain
You say you just want me to take you for a drive
"Crosstown Traffic"  as recorded by Jimi Hendrix