Re: More on new cars

Subject: Re: More on new cars
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 07:49:46 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Steve Hoult wrote:
> >>"Not when (expensive if they're only good for the track) track-only racing
> >>tires are allowed, but street tires are not competitive."
> >Have to agree somewhat, but there are now classes for cars with real
> >street tires.
> What classes are there at the regional, divisional or national level for
> Street Tires? I'm aware of these classes at a local level, but the true
> competition lies outside ones own small pool. Maybe it would be good to keep
> the stock classes on street tires to help keep costs down. Let SP and above
> run stickies.

Trot that horse over here and let me beat on 'im...

Why do folks persist with the totally misguided thinking that street tires
will save money?  Sticky street tires typically cost more than Kumho's,
come in more restricted sizes, and get eaten up just as fast or faster
than R tires.  The only downside to R tires is that you need an extra set
of rims for them, but rims are typically fairly cheap and if I'm gonna be
needing special tires (Sticky non-R tires) I'll want the rims anyway.

If you really want to save money on tire costs (not that that isn't a pipe
dream anyway), push to get Kumho's as the spec tire for Solo programs in
exchange for a discount.  It'll never happen, but at least if it did it
might actually have the effect of dropping costs, unlike the street tires
everyone blathers on about.

And we'll just totally ignore the whole discussion of enforcement. If you
can't see the obvious rule difficulties there's no hope of you seeing the
light.  Why the heck do you think we've got R tires now anyway?

Bottom line, racing anything costs money.  Some classes cost less than
others.  Solo2, on average, costs so much less than any other form of
racing that it still amazes me when people whine about money.  I could
throw hundred dollar bills out the window during my runs and _still_ spend
less than I did club racing motorcycles (which is known as a cheap
motorsport!).

If the idea or replacing a stock car with a new one every couple years
to stay current doesn't appeal to you, then get a 'spec' stock car like
the neon or miata.  Or move to mod classes where the car to have is much
more stable.  Or join the CP mustang crowd.  Or just suck it up and quit
whining 'cause you aren't gonna win anyway.

Mark
(grumpy as hell this morning)