Re: Low budget car question.

To: scott_phelps@england.gdt1.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Low budget car question.
From: Craig Blome <cblome@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 10:32:04 -0800 (PST)
Well, you could probably get a genuine X1/9 for under the $1K mark
(not that I have a '85 Bertone X1/9 For Sale or nothin' :)  Most of
the same stuff fits, it handles great and it's not wrong wheel drive
like its 128/Yugo cousins.  :)

Harder to find, but a GREAT update/backdate candidate, is a early-70's
Toyota Corolla 1600.  Light as a feather, lots of good stuff from the
SR-5 Corollas can be swapped in (and the 6.7" rear can take a limited
slip), and the later 2T-C motors can support lots more power if you
decide to build it later.

Craig Blome

---scott_phelps@england.gdt1.com wrote:

>      Well, I may be biased, but before everyone starts laughing, Buy
>      YUGO!   You can pick up a real nice one for around $500, than
spend
>      the rest of your cash on fixing it up, or modifying it,
depending on
>      your desired class.  They are pretty simple stout little cars,
and
>      handle surprisingly well. Being a Fiat 128 clone, any go fast
part
>      that fits a Fiat 128 or X1/9 will fit on a Yugo.  Even the Fiat
crowd
>      has developed an attraction to them, as no one else seems to
want
>      them......   I have gobs of fun with mine, and it doesn't cost
a mint.
>      Alternatively, Rabbits are fun, have good aftermarket parts
support
>      and could probably be had for under a grand.   A few thoughts
>      anyways.....
>

>      Scott Phelps
>
>      TLS # 11
>      88 Yugo GVX EP NER