re: Torsen (was: Buying a Miata)

To: greendot@excelonline.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Torsen (was: Buying a Miata)
From: SOLOMIATA@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:36:27 EST
I haven't been following this thread so forgive me if this info has been
presented.
The Type 2 Torsen is only $619 brand new from Mazda Comp.  This is the diff
alone with no housings or gears or bearings.

For more Torsen interchange and general info read my Miata drivetrain
interchange page and LSD Q&A page at:
http://members.aol.com/solomiata/miataCSP.html

One way to fins a cheap one is that most junk yard personnel don't realize
that a Torsen will turn the halfshaft the opposite directions just like a open
diff does so they sell it for $150-300 as an open diffs.  Can't tell you how
many people have gotten one that way.  My LSD page has information on how to
identify a Torsen without disassembly (i.e., turn the halfshafts the same
direction at the same time or pull the stub shafts).

Another way to get a cheap Torsen is to buy one where the mounting 'wings' has
been broken off in a rear/side accident (very common).  Then just buy an
inexpensive aluminum rear housing from a 2nd gen RX-7 for $50 which is
functionally identical.

Also have some great Torsen info on my links page.

Randy

<< So all this brings up the question, does anyone know of a used
 Torsen for sale?