Re: More course design

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More course design
From: bthatch@juno.com
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 23:32:37 -0500
Mike,

Probably the "old hands" know there is more time to be lost in a turn
around than gained so slow down instead of trying to overdrive the turn.

Ben

Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 16:58:54 -0700 (MST)
From: "Mike McLeish Sr." <mikemel@iquest.net>

 In a message dated 3/7/99 7:58:54 AM Eastern Standard Time, Ben Thatcher
wrote
(abbreviated):

 2. Try to avoid turns more than 90 degrees.

Good advice.  I would like to comment on #2 above, though, because of my
experiences last year:
Last year, I ran 6 events against the same novice driver.  I noticed that
at
4 events I was significantly faster and at the other 2 (third and fifth),
he
was much closer to my times.  I compared other times at these events and
discovered that the same was true in several classes.  There was a
trend...
When the courses had several turns greater than 90°, the "Old hands" were
clearly dominant.  When the courses were mostly or entirely made of turns
of
90° or less, the novices were significantly closer...  I quickly
determined
that the natural tendency of novices to early apex corners put them on
the
proper line for shallow turn courses, whereas courses requiring several
late
apexes put them far behind.
Has anyone else noted this and does that still make avoiding turns
greater
than 90 a good idea?

Mike McLeish Sr.
ES SC-2