stock class question

Subject: stock class question
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 11:58:40 -0600
Howdy all, it's me again. ;^)

Here's a nutty question for y'all.  How many Stock Class champions truly
have their cars prepped to the max per the rule book?  Particularly the
smaller like, shall we say, DS cars.  ;^)

The rules say that in Stock Class cars you can bore your cylinders out a
little, shave you heads slightly and even though you can't balance the
rotating assembly you can go through a hundred different factory pistons and
rods or injectors and mix and match factory parts to get a good "matched"
set of nearly idential (weight, flow, whatever) parts.  I suppose you could
even flow test several dozen intake and exhaust manifolds to find the one
that flows the best and has the least amount of casting slag to interrupt
the smooth flow of air in an attempt to get that last little bit of power
out of a "Stock" motor.

Now of course this would cost lots of money and is against the "spirit" of
stock class, but it can be done and still be in accordance with the rules.

To the best of your knowledge have any of the Stock Class national champions
gone to all this trouble or do they come about their trophies the old
fashioned way.  Hard work, a good setup lotsa practice and even better
driving in an otherwise stock car just like mine.

I don't have the resources and patience or see the need to do this, yet.
Just curious.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Take a ton of bolt and steel
A whole lotta sweat, a set of wheels.....On the Speedway.
The flag is down, pistons pound
Plenty of engines ripping around......On the Speedway.
"Speedway" by Elvis Presley