Re: '90 Grand Am -- safe or not?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '90 Grand Am -- safe or not?
From: David K Yeung <dkyeung@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 09:14:48 -0600

On Tue, 02 Mar 1999 05:59:56 -0600 Ryan Tucker
<rtucker@crasher2.ttgcitn.com> writes:
>A friend of mine is idly pondering partaking in the joys of Solo II,
>but his car has a rather unique feature.
>
>It's a 1990 Pontiac Grand Am... with seatbelts in the door.

not too unique.  during the late 80s into early 90s, this was GMs
approach to mandatory automatic seat belts, before mandatory air bags.
theory is you could leave the belt buckled and open the door to get
in/out.  I think it's better than those motorized guillotines 'cause it
still works like a regular seat belt and doesn't leave you without a lap
belt.

>He says that his car probably wouldn't be considered "safe" since he's
>essentially screwed should the door come open.  Is it?  Can he
>autocross it?

if the NHTSA, DOT and Naderites don't have a problem with it...it must be
safe (yeah, right).  I don't rememeber ever hearing about any safety
recalls for millions of cars with this type of seat belt.  Besides, this
is why your manual says you should lock your door when operating your
car.....