Re: Event exposure & attracting new members.

To: "Jon G Felton" <nasa-va@juno.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Event exposure & attracting new members.
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 14:18:08 -0600
>I am very familiar with the idea of driving around town in a
>stickered/graphic'd car, and the fact that you got 4 of 6 people
>interested is great, but I doubt you'll see any of them at an autox.
>It's VERY easy to get 'em interested.  It's a lot harder to have them
>actually come out and drive.
= ====================
Probably true.  I know at least one of the interested parties will show up
since he's my neighbor and I'll drag him there if I have to.  ;^)

>Your parade idea is a good one, but a Saturday afternoon through the
>better-populated areas will certainly snag more interest than a Sunday
>morning.  Hand out all kinds of info, including DETAILS about the next
>day's event, and it will probably generate some more participation.
=====================
Hmm, a Saturday cruise that'd end up at an eatery in the evening.  That
might just work.  Hooter's perhaps?  I've butchered, er modified an
informational flyer that was sent to me from one of our fellow autocrossers,
Chuck Brazeau.  THANKS Chuck!!!  I will endeavor to keep a few in my car at
all times to give to interested parties and to distribute to local car shops
and "car-guy" hang outs.

>BTW, a stock Neon with stickers on it isn't quite as well-received by the
>public as, say, a Corvette with a roll cage and stickers.  That's not an
>insult to you and your Neon, Eric - I'm just saying that if you're going
>to do the parade you might as well snag the prettiest/meanest
>looking/most easily recognized/most race-prepped street legal ones you
>can find.  Then again, your car can be used to represent the emminent
>accessibility of it.  So maybe you should lead.  =-)
===================
Point well taken.  Hopefully I can get some of our club members with
"hotter" cars to also participate.  Hmm, let's see.  There's the
Lingenfelter Corvette and the '94 Cobra Mustang with sidepipes and a lot of
different Porsches in addition to the affordable cars such as Neons, Hondas,
Saturns, ZX-2s etc.  It might just work.

>Your ride-along idea is great.  Make sure you go fast enough to thrill
>them but not fast enough to scare them.
==================
I don't wanna scare 'em too much since I'm all out of carpet shampoo.  ;^)

>Also, we have found that flyers are by far the best way to spread the
>word.  Bring it up at a meeting - most members are happy to take twenty
>flyers with 'em to distribute on eligible cars during their routine
>travels.  It's also helpful to have a comprehensive web site listed on
>the flyers.
>
>All in all, your ideas are good ones, Eric.  Clubs need more folks like
>you, who want to keep this sport alive and growing into the future by
>taking an active recruiting role.
>
>All IMHO,
>
>Jon
>___
>Jon Felton, Virginia Region Director
=====================
I agree.  Most clubs could use some kind of active recruitment program.
Especially ours.  The only way I got started locally was due to my own
pursuit of information while spectating some of the local events.

I'm still fairly new to autocrossing but I'm sure there's a lot of other
people out there who would love to race their daily driver and just don't
know about the local clubs or are afraid to ask questions.

Wish me luck.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Take a ton of bolt and steel
A whole lotta sweat, a set of wheels.....On the Speedway.
The flag is down, pistons pound
Plenty of engines ripping around......On the Speedway.
"Speedway" by Elvis Presley