Re: Cold disks

To: "Mohler, Jeff" <jeff.mohler@wilcom.com>
Subject: Re: Cold disks
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 21:25:03 -0600
Mohler, Jeff wrote:

>         Thats how I see it too, but the "modification" isnt adding any
> gripping power, isnt reducing brake fade, its just adding lifetime to the
> hardware itself.
>
>         Kinda the opposite of heat-cycling a tire properly to increase it's
> active lifetime.

Yeah, it's attractive to want to take the argument there, but it really
is not the same IMHO.  Tires are free per the rules whereas the other
parts are not.  It has often been contended successfully here that
increasing a parts durability is a performance advantage in some ways.
I can use my Neon motor mounts as my example.  Technically, it does
allow you higher disk temperatures without the warpage that might
usually happen.  A real stretch for AX I admit, but we are not supposed
to apply degrees of rightness or wrongness, right?...these are rules and
they have to be followed to the letter for them to have any validity.

After all that garbage, would I care?  Probably not.  Just as an opinion
though, and not pointing this at anyone in particular, consider this:
If you were to somehow declare that your disks are treated like this at
a local event, I would not have a problem with it because you were
honest about it and I know that you wont beat anyone directly because of
it.  Conceal it however, and you will probably draw fire.  To me, rules
compliance is always a matter of personal integrity and honor.  I'm
getting a little dramatic here maybe, but some comments from others
recently got me thinking about it, and I think it is always good to
re-iterate that every now and again.  O.K., everyone take them disks
outta the freezer! :)

--
Patrick Washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Wausau, WI     Land of Cheese