Re: sp changes in fast track

To: jemitchell@compuserve.com (Jay Mitchell)
Subject: Re: sp changes in fast track
From: "K.C. Babb" <kcb4286@hps13.iasl.ca.boeing.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 16:04:01 -0800 (PST)

> No it doesn't, nor am I arguing for that. I AM saying that, if
> you see fit to include words like "free," "open," or

That's probably a good point, but how do you allow someone to
substitute something in more or less unlimited ways, and yet
restrict them to using it for its intended purpose?

> just such a device. It IS, after all, a fuel filter, as Paul

What filtering action is provided by an empty tube of sub-
stantially larger diameter than the attaching lines?  See
Webster for "filter": "a device containing a porous substance
through which a liquid or gas can be passed to separate out
suspended matter".  I suppose you could say air is a porous
substance (a stretch in my view), but what is being filtered
by it that is "suspended matter"?

> The fact that that phrase appears in specific sections rather
> than as a general restriction is, to me, a very powerful argument

It didn't used to; it was assumed to be a generally-applicable
caveat.  Then people started playing interpretation games and
it began to be used in specific instances where those games
had cropped up.  Should probably have gone in a general-application
section instead.

> "if it doesn't say you can," but on the other hand, there's
> "normal, no-other purpose installation methods." Seems like
> you've made a lot of assumptions about implicit meanings here. It

Your "implicit meanings" are my "common sense" and application of
that same old premise ("IF IT DOESN'T SAY...").  I don't think
the book should have to spoon-feed people.

> ANY allowed accessory unless those mods are specifically allowed.
> Isn't that consistent with your philosophy.?

Probably.  Then again, your approach would probably be to say that
if the use of something is allowed, the installation is implicitly
approved.  Mine would be to be very careful that the implementation
of the installation was not "creative", and to ask about it if I
had a question.

> huh? NOW read the same section. The word "not" was removed from
> the added sentence, and now, if you want to run a locked rear end
> in SP, it's a whole lot less expensive to do so.

Well, yes.  The original change was probably made to strengthen a ban
on lockers (virtual or actual) and the subsequent change was probably
made based on member input concerning cost and feasibility.  So
you'd rather they not fix it once they were convinced?  Do you
also think spacers should still be illegal in Stock, since all
those people had spent all that money on new wheels to optimize
offset and get clearance for big tires?

> It hasn't just been the one competitor. Quite a number of folks
> have been aware of this sort of device and believed in good faith
> it to be fully within the letter AND spirit of the rules.

I don't doubt that.  And I don't question their intentions although
the competitive-advantage aspect is hard to dispute.  Gas does have
non-zero weight.  I had an old Rx-7, and know that it would starve
out with less than about 3/8 tank.  If I could have run it virtually
empty, I could have saved maybe 30-40 lbs.  I didn't expect to be
able to run it bone dry just because an Mr2 could; I figured that
was just a quirk of the car I was stuck with.

> >  Build an honest car and win by driving.
>
> The implication being that Tom's car wasn't honest and he did NOT

Not at all; it was a general statement based on the seemingly
common tendency to try to read the rules "sideways" to find a
loophole one can use.   You chose to interpret it as being
directed at one or the other Tom when it wasn't :-).

> >No, it's a conduit.
>
> Semantics. It has nonzero fuel capacity, and the engine can

Uh, I thought it was plain old English.  Conduit - "a channel
or pipe for conveying fluids".  Reservoir - "a chamber for
storing a fluid".  Somehow those don't seem the same.

> carb float bowl and the EFI fuel rail. Can't I make my carbs'
> float bowls as large as I want, or are there unwritten
> "restrictions" in that "unrestricted" as well?

Actually, now that you mention it, you could and I'd have no
problem with it.  Call it a "JayCarb" and get rich selling 'em.

> In "routing" said fuel, is it your contention that the fuel line
> "holds" no fuel? And exactly how many fairies CAN dance on the
> head of a pin?

Now wait a minute, I wasn't discussing other driver species here :-)

KCB