Re: VW Rabbit pickup final drive ratio?

To: schumi@vcn.bc.ca
Subject: Re: VW Rabbit pickup final drive ratio?
From: Jonathan Dove <JDOVE@gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 12:05:12 -0500
From: Wes Shew <schumi@vcn.bc.ca>

> I recall reading way back that the pick-ups were the only A1 cars with an
> unusually high final drive ratio? 4._ vs. normally 3.8 or lower? Anyone
> know if that is correct?

You are thinking of the transmissions for diesels.  They have a 4.25 ratio
compared to the gas 3.89 ratio.  The interesting thing I found is finding
documentation that can back it up.  Here's a list of the Bentley and Haynes
service manuals I have and what they list for 4 and 5 speed diesels:

Bentley 75-79 A1     3.89
Bentley 80-84 A1     3.89
Bentley 85-92 A2     3.89 and 4.25
Haynes (US) 74-84    3.89
            75-89    none listed
            75-92    none listed
Haynes (UK) 74-84    3.89, 4.06 and 4.57

Only the A2 Bentley and the UK Haynes list alternate ratios for diesels.
The others still say that diesels use the 3.89.

I don't have the Bentley 77-84 A1 diesel manual so this may have the
key information.

Jonathan
jdove@gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu