Re: G-Force and Hoosier Tires

To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: G-Force and Hoosier Tires
From: "Burns, James B." <BurnsJB1@central.SSD.JHUAPL.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 09:15:18 -0500
Rob Pickrell Jr. wrote:
>In races they would lose time
>with the BFG's but towards the end of the race heavier cars on Hoosier
began
>toloose time as the tires went off. Then the lighter cars on BFGs had the
>advantage as the BFG stayed the same or became a little faster. The heavier
>cars on BFG's were able to heat up the tires and use the
>stiffer heavier tire.

I also found that the Hoosiers tended to go away after several laps of road
racing.  They seemed to take 2 or 3 laps to get enough heat to work well,
then they were great for several laps, then they started to get greasy
feeling.  They were also extremely easy to flatspot.  My hot pressures were
41-43 psi which is where they should be.  When I used BFG R1s or Kumhos they
seemed much more consistent throughout the race.  However, I've heard that
the new Hoosier compound is much better and more consistent, and also
doesn't flat spot as easily.  I haven't personally tried them yet.  I'm not
sure what tires I'll use when my current Hoosiers wear out.  My car is set
up for Hoosiers, so maybe I'll use their new compound tires.  But I might
try the new G-Forces and see how they work.  If Kumho ever makes a 225/50-14
I'd probably use those.

Did Hoosier also change their autox compound tire, or just their road race
tire?

Brad Burns
'91 MR2T, Solo2 A-stock (225/50-14 R1s in '98.  ? in '99)
'87 RX7, ITS road racer (225/50-14 Hoosiers in '98.  ? in '99)