Another gForce R1 Usage Report

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Another gForce R1 Usage Report
From: John Coffey <jcoffey@mossmicro.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 08:58:06 -0800
Car: BSP Datsun 240Z
Tire size: 225/50-15
Set first put to use: 12/6/98 at a McKamey Phase 1 school
Set retired: 2/14/99 after flat spotting and cording one of the tires
Total runs: 58 averaging 52.8 seconds (longest 96.991, shortest 14.566)
Surface: all runs on asphalt
Pressures: varied cold from 35 to 42 until I figured out what worked on
my car

Without the flat spotting I could have easily got 70 to 80 runs out of
the set.  I'm very happy with the performance of the tire.  Great turn
in (and for those that have autox'd a Z that's a rare thing to say),
very sticky, and they shine in slaloms and quick transitions.  I'm
disappointed with their cost and life.

On this car I can only compare them with the original R1s and Yoko
A008RS2.  The gForce R1 is much better in all performance measures.

Did I order another set?  Nope.  Ordered a set of Kumho V700s for four
reasons:

1.      Want to try them on my car and compare them to the gForces.
2.      $190 cheaper for the set from Tire Rack.
3.      Projected longer life.
4.      The fast BSP folks in SoCal are running the Kumhos.

John Coffey
Moss Micro, Inc.
jcoffey@mossmicro.com
http://www.mossmicro.com