Developing a New PAX number - help

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Developing a New PAX number - help
From: Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:37:47 -0800
Hello all!  I hope ya'll in the warmer climates are taking full advantage
of the events you have in the winter months!  Here in NER, our first event
is April 25th!  That's why we drive 1400 miles to the Pro in FLA...Anyway:

We have a blossoming interest in karting here in New England.  Not in
Shifters mind you, but in the Briggs 5hp jobs.  I really need to try to
develop a PAX number for these karts as half of our driver of the year
calculation is a season ending PAX ranking.

How do I do this and be fair to both the kart guys and the rest of the
competitors?  It has been suggested by the kart guys that we take their
times and see where they fall and assign them that PAX.  Seemingly fair on
the outside, this would give them a shot at a top 5 right out of the box
because it assumes they are "A" drivers...not fair to the rest of the
group.  Others have suggested that we take our local National caliber
drivers, put them in the kart, and see where their raw times fall.  Even
better idea...except I feel that the difference in an "A" driver and a "B"
driver in a 5hp kart will be much smaller than in a S, SP, P, or M vehicle.
They just can't go fast enough to really make a difference.  Sure, there
will be differences, but enough to create a PAX#?

Should we just slap them with a Mod factor and be done with it?  How was it
done for F125?

TIA,

AB
Andy Bettencourt